My favorite wine event is quickly approaching – it’s the 32nd Annual Barrel Tasting in Northern Sonoma County. I attended last year with some friends and had a blast! The event used to be one weekend only, but due to popularity has been expanded over 2 weekends now. Why so popular?
You can’t beat this amazing experience (and deal):
• Over 100 wineries participate
• Sample wines straight out of the barrel as well as some finished vintages
• Wristbands are $20 in advance and $30 at the door
• Wristbands are good all weekend – visit as many wineries as you like (or can)!
• Have a designated driver!
• Bring food to snack or picnic with along the way
• Have an itinerary pre-planned
• Plan to stay somewhere overnight
• Book early – like now.
This is a great opportunity to plan a vacation or getaway around the event. For me personally, I have booked a nearby vacation home for myself and some of my wine drinking family and friends. We hired a van driver to drive us around since it’s really easy to drink too much, with so many wineries offering tastings. Some of the wineries offer appetizers as well as other perks. For example, I just found out that one of the wineries I am planning to visit will have a ‘mystery barrel’ available (probably one of their premium blends). Some have the tastings in their barrel rooms or caves to enhance the experience. Last year I met with plenty of friendly staff and even met some winery owners. Everyone seems to get out and enjoy the day, which is why this one is one of my favorites.
I am just finishing the planning for this, but started a bit late this year. I highly recommend that if this sounds interesting to you, to start planning right away (especially the room to stay) since things are booking up quickly! Good luck and hopefully you can make it too!
Visit the Event Website